Sunday, June 1, 2014

Welcome!

Hello,
  I have started this blog for my Writing 122 class as part of my Culminating Project. I will be posting pictures, writing posts and allowing others to do the same, but I want to keep it all towards my same theme. Food. In particular processed foods, addictive ingredients,  and dangerous additives. I hope we can keep things respectful because I want to keep this project up long after my class is over. Feel free to share past experiences good or bad with foods. Let me know what my posts make you think about or question.  I will try to post at least once a week from here on out.

   Let me start with a little about why I chose this theme. A few years back, I was eating a chicken McNugget from McDonald's.  It was like any other time I had ordered a pack of chicken McNugget's; until I bit down into a piece of their proclaimed "all white meat." I felt a crunch between my teeth. At first, I could not tell what it was that I had bit down on, but I knew enough to know that meat shouldn't crunch.

   I know it sounds gross, but I spit, what was in my mouth, out into a napkin to further examine it. Upon looking through the discolored meat it notices shards of hard white pieces that would not smash into the napkin. It was bone, tiny pieces of chicken bones. I couldn't believe what I had been chewing on. I swore off fast food that day; however, a couple months later I had decided to give it one last chance hoping that it was a fluke, a mistake, or accident.

   I was dreadfully wrong; a whole different restaurant,  with a whole new batch of nuggets on a whole different day and still the Nuggets I bit into let me down. Shards of bones once again in my mouth. I was completely grossed out and I have since then never returned to a fast food chain.

   I am so terrified of what I might find in my food. Now, I buy my food from grocery stores and I still examine every bite before putting any thing into my mouth. I know it is a bit extreme, but I feel I cannot be too careful. This is what drives me to the theme for my school project. Food is dire to my survival and life on earth. In order to live I need to eat. I want to help and I hope to encourage others through this blog to think -at the very least think. You can never be to careful when it comes to your life, health and survival.

   Why take a risk on something just because it tastes or smells good. It is like hooking up with a stranger; most people should think before doing that, because you know nothing about who they are, where they came from and what diseases or hazards they might come with. So why would you eat something you know nothing about either? A little blatant I know, but it is true and we are all adults here; there is no need to "sugar coat" it. Let's be true to ourselves and our bodies.

No comments:

Post a Comment